Useful Information

We have all been, at some point, new arrivals to London and the UK, the following links provide some helpful information.

The Expatriate’s Guide to Living in the UK is also a valuable resource.

Rail Travel

Transport for London is a local government body responsible for the transport system in Greater London. For information on all forms of transport in London including cycle hire, routes, planning a journey, ticket sales etc visit the Transport for London website

Ticket Payment Options

  • Oyster Cards
  • Contactless

For free and discounted travel (60+, Children under 5, Students etc) visit >fares> free and discounted travel

Helpful Hint: Download the City Mapper App – it provides very clear and easy to follow directions (and options) on how to get from one location to another using public transport.

Train Travel to areas outside Greater London

For information regarding travelling to cities, towns, airports, theme parks, sporting venues visit

Visit for schedules and routes and to pre-book tickets. Group discounts are available on some train lines and some destinations.

Rail Travel to Europe

The Eurostar departs regularly from St Pancras (King’s Cross). There are direct services to Paris, Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, the south of France and Calais as well as connecting destinations in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany

Be alert to some wonderful discounted offers.


Buses in London are very easy to use and travel to most areas of the city.

Air Travel

The major airports are

  • Heathrow
  • Gatwick
  • City
  • Stanstead
  • Luton

The Heathrow Express runs from Paddington to Heathrow and return. The trip takes approx. 15 mins and stops at terminals, 1,2,3,4,5. Tickets can be bought online.

The Gatwick Express runs from Victoria Station and return. Tickets can be bought online.

Healthcare is usually very efficient and service is of a high standard and is generally free of charge for most UK residents.

There are two types of healthcare providers

National Health Service

To use NHS services must register with a GP as soon as you have a permanent UK address. You will need to register with a GP in your postal code

Private Service

Private doctors are more expensive than NHS but you can generally get an appointment more quickly and visit a doctor of your choice

London’s number 1 Private Hospital Group


In the case of an emergency, go to the A&E of the closest NHS hospital.

If the emergency is serious call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

The Department of Education is responsible for children’s services and education, including early years, schools higher and further education policy, apprenticeship and wider skills in England.


Contact your local council to find the schools in your area and the admission criteria.

The Good Schools Guide gives unbiased and candid school reviews


Universities UK is the representative organisation for the UK Universities

Check with Visas and Immigration.

British Citizenship

People living and working in the UK for five continuous years (two, if spouse or partner of a British citizen) may be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (or Permanent Residence). You need to contact the UK Border Agency to understand your rights and apply for this visa.

After 12 months of holding an Indefinite Leave to Remain or Permanent Residence visa you may qualify for British citizenship.